20 Tips on Completing a Job Application
The following tips should help you complete a job application to the expectations of employers and improve your chances of getting a job interview.
- Dress neatly.
- Get two copies of the application form.
- Read the instructions carefully and follow them completely.
- Use a black ink pen when writing.
- Answer each question.
- Try to write as neatly as possible.
- Be prepared to complete each section of the application.
- Include all previous employers.
- Try to explain your military occupation and skills in civilian terms.
- Appear educated, even if you lack formal credentials.
- Handle sensitive questions with tact.
- Avoid abbreviations.
- Avoid vague statements.
- Avoid revealing salary information.
- Include interests and hobbies relevant to the job.
- Include additional comments if appropriate.
- Remember to sign the application.
- Read and re-read your answers.
- Attach your resume to the application form.
- Be sure to follow up.
SOURCE: Adapted from Military Transition to Civilian Success (Impact Publications), pages 225-230. Copyright 2006. All rights reserved.